What Are Dermal Fillers like Juvederm and Restylane?
Unlike botulinum toxin (Botox Cosmetic and Dysport), which causes muscles to relax, dermal fillers are used to fill deep lines or add volume to areas of the face that have lost volume or simply did not have enough mass in the beginning.
Twenty years ago, if you wanted to get rid of wrinkly, sagging skin, there was basically one way to do it–going under the knife for a face-lift. But today, a range of dermal fillers can be injected into various areas of the face, taking years off your appearance. Treatments take less than an hour, with no invasive surgery and little recovery time.
The most popular dermal fillers are comprised of hyaluronic acid. As your skin ages, the dermis gradually loses collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid. Collagen acts as the major support protein for our skin, elastin allows our skin to stay firm and resist wrinkles, and hyaluronic acid helps to trap water and add volume and shape to our skin.
Are Dermal Fillers like Juvederm and Restylane Safe?
- Dermal fillers are generally very safe. The complications that may occur usually happen because the provider injects the filler in an area that it was not meant to be placed or uses poor injection techniques, both of which can be avoided by choosing an experienced, qualified specialist.
- Side effects are uncommon but can include limited allergic reactions (hypersensitivity), reactivation of an existing herpes infection, localized bruising, redness or swelling at the injection site, and in very rare instances, vascular occlusion and ulceration/necrosis. If hypersensitivity is a concern, a hyaluronic acid based filler may be a better choice, since these can be enzymatically reversed with hyaluronidase in the event of a bad result or hypersensitivity reaction.
Choosing a Dermal Filler?
Researching the BEST filler for you is important, but experts agree that good results depend more on injection technique than the type of filler being used.
We tend to use a hyaluronic acid filler like Restylane-L in the naso-labial folds and peri-oral area, Restylane Silk for patients wanting to plump the lips, Restylane-L in areas like the lower eyelids and tear troughs, and Restylane Lyft for the cheeks and hands.
Our prices are some of the most competitive in Texas. For even deeper discounts, join our e-mailing list. We send out periodic specials on aesthetic products like Botox, Dysport, Juvederm, Restylane, and Kybella.
*Injections performed by Dr. Jones, a Harvard Fellowship-Trained, Board-Certified Eye Surgeon. We never shuffle you off to a nurse or PA!
**some may need more filler than others, severe signs of aging may only be helped by laser rejuvenation or surgery
Dermal Filler Uses for the Face and Hands?
- In general, Dermal Fillers are best used in the mid and lower face
- Tear Troughs and Lower Eyelids
- Cheek Lift
- Naso-labial Folds
- Peri-oral Area
- Marionette Lines
- Hands (Restylane Lyft recently FDA-approved for this use)